One of the great things we get to do here is share the knowledge of woodworking so, if you have always wanted
to try woodworking but didn’t know where to begin, this may be the path for you. We teach hands-on woodworking classes, customized to your specific needs. Your current knowledge, abilities and goals are combined with practical, achievable projects to help you develop your woodworking skills. We offer the following, small group classes in a beautifully renovated air conditioned building at various times throughout the year (Class Calendar) and private classes if your schedule is complicated.
Beginning Woodwork Classes
- Introduction to Power Tools
- Basic Woodwork
- Basic Woodwork Practicums:
- Turning For Beginners
Intermediate Woodworking Classes
- Cabinet Making
- Joinery Skills – Hand & Machine
- Finishing Skills and Techniques 1
- Making Curves 1
- Intermediate Woodworking Practicums:
- Building a pair of night stands with door &/or drawer
- Build a Krenov Style Cabinet
Advanced Woodworking Classes
- Inlay & Veneering
- Advance Design
- Chair Making
- Introduction to Carving
- Making Curves 2
- Finishing Skills and Techniques 2
- Advance Class – Practicums
- Building a multi drawered cabinet
- Design & Build a headboard
- Build a curved writing desk
- Graduate Project
Furniture Maker Certificate Program
Learning the craft of designing and making furniture is a physically, mentally and emotionally fulfilling process and it brings artisanal skill and vibrancy to the communities and businesses that we live in. At Franklin St, we teach furniture making for the satisfaction and development it brings, whether you are pursuing it professionally or as an avocation.
The Furniture Maker Certificate program may be taken in individual stages/classes or continuously over a 12 month period. Students who graduate from this program are able to design and build and finish furniture on their own with the confidence and skill to design, and to be qualified for employment by other fine furniture makers.
To register for a class please click on the class title or the menu and register on line. Alternatively you may register by printing the PDF Registration Form and mailing it to us.
The Teaching Team
Our instructors have wide ranging, diverse experience in the field of furniture building. The primary instructors are Kate Swann and Carl Johnson See Bios
On occasion we also invite other specialist woodworkers who have specific skills in areas such as carving, inlay, or particular furniture styles.
Equipment & Tools
There are plenty of well maintained power tools and even more hand tools to aid in the learning process.
There are 2 table saws (powermatic & Saw Stop); 2 band saws (20″ & 12″); 2 planers (14″ & 20″); 2 jointers (20″ & 8″); 1 drill presses; 1 scroll saws; 2 power miter saws; 1 shapers; 1 large router tables; 1 oscillating drum sanders; 1 mortising machines; 1 large vacuum press; 3 master workbenches; 1 edge and 3 disc sanders; plus more than 200 clamps and all the hand tools you could imagine. There are two clean bathrooms (one of which is wheelchair-accessible), a full spray booth with special safety equipment.
The building is air-conditioned but during the summer students should plan on dressing comfortably – Florida gets hot from March/April – November.
If you are under 21 years old
If you are older than 16 years and younger than 21 years you may sign up for unaccompanied private classes, if approved by your legal guardian.
Shop Dog Welcome
When you arrive at the Workshop, please be prepared for an overly enthusiastic (noisy), inappropriate (noses in wrong places), brief (nap time calls) greeting from Sally, the shop dog.
WOODWORKING CLASSES – REFUND AND CANCELLATION POLICY
- To be eligible for any returned money, you must send a dated letter requesting any refunds. All refunds will be based on the postmarked date
- Email and telephone cancellations will not be accepted for refunds.
- There will be an automatic $50 cancellation fee (per class) for any canceled registration, regardless of the date of withdrawal. Private classes will incur a $50 per reserved hour cancellation fee for any cancellation with less than three business days notice.
- If you withdraw from a workshop more than 30 days in advance, the school will refund the deposit on the class, less the $50 cancellation fee and $45 nonrefundable registration fee.
- If you withdraw within 29 days of the class, there will be no refund or transferring of the money to another class on all paid money for any reason.
- If you cancel any class and are eligible for a refund, the available refundable money can be applied to another class in the same year (less the $50 cancellation fee). You cannot transfer money to another class in the next year’s schedule.
- Refundable money will be sent back before the end of the school year.
- If for any reason FSFW must cancel a workshop, all money will be refunded, including the $45 registration fee.