One of the great things we get to do here is share the knowledge of woodworking so, if you have always wanted
to try woodworking but didn’t know where to begin, this may be the path for you. We teach hands-on woodworking classes, customized to your specific needs. Your current knowledge, abilities and goals are combined with practical, achievable projects to help you develop your woodworking skills. We offer the following, small group classes in a beautifully renovated air conditioned building at various times throughout the year (Class Calendar) and private classes if your schedule is complicated.
Our Woodworking Courses build one upon the other. This gives you quality and flexibility. Come to Franklin St on one of our short woodworking courses, come for a couple of day, a week or three months.
Beginning Woodwork Classes
- Basic Woodwork
- Basic Woodwork Practicums:
- Turning For Beginners
- Handtool work
Intermediate Woodworking Classes
- Cabinet Making
- Joinery Skills – Hand & Machine
- Finishing Skills and Techniques 1
- Intermediate Woodworking Practicums:
- Designing & Building Cabinets with door &/or drawer
- Build a Krenov Style Cabinet
Advanced Woodworking Classes
- Inlay & Veneering
- Advance Design
- Chair Making
- Introduction to Carving
- Making Curves 2
- Finishing Skills and Techniques 2
- Advance Class – Practicums
- Building a multi drawered cabinet
- Design & Build a headboard
- Build a curved writing desk
- Graduate Project
Furniture Maker Certificate Program
Learning the craft of designing and making furniture is a physically, mentally and emotionally fulfilling process and it brings artisanal skill and vibrancy to the communities and businesses that we live in. At Franklin St, we teach furniture making for the satisfaction and development it brings, whether you are pursuing it professionally or as an avocation.
The Furniture Maker Certificate program may be taken in individual stages/classes or continuously over a 12 month period. Students who graduate from this program are able to design and build and finish furniture on their own with the confidence and skill to design, and to be qualified for employment by other fine furniture makers.
To register for a class please click on the class title or the menu and register on line. Alternatively you may register by printing the PDF Registration Form and mailing it to us.
The Teaching Team
Our instructors have wide ranging, diverse experience in the field of furniture building. The primary instructors are Kate Swann and Carl Johnson See Bios
On occasion we also invite other specialist woodworkers who have specific skills in areas such as carving, inlay, or particular furniture styles.
Equipment & Tools
There are plenty of well maintained power tools and even more hand tools to aid in the learning process.
There are 2 table saws (powermatic & Saw Stop); 2 band saws (20″ & 12″); 2 planers (14″ & 20″); 2 jointers (20″ & 8″); 1 drill presses; 1 scroll saws; 2 power miter saws; 1 shapers; 1 large router tables; 1 oscillating drum sanders; 1 mortising machines; 1 large vacuum press; 3 master workbenches; 1 edge and 3 disc sanders; plus more than 200 clamps and all the hand tools you could imagine. There are two clean bathrooms (one of which is wheelchair-accessible), a full spray booth with special safety equipment.
The building is air-conditioned but during the summer students should plan on dressing comfortably – Florida gets hot from March/April – November.
If you are under 21 years old
If you are older than 16 years and younger than 21 years you may sign up for unaccompanied private classes, if approved by your legal guardian.
Shop Dog Welcome
When you arrive at the Workshop, please be prepared for an overly enthusiastic (noisy), inappropriate (noses in wrong places), brief (nap time calls) greeting from Sally, the shop dog.
WOODWORKING CLASSES – REFUNDS, CANCELLATIONS, POLICY, STANDARDS
REFUND AND CANCELLATION POLICY
- To be eligible for any returned money, you must send a dated letter requesting any refunds. All refunds will be based on the postmarked date
- Email and telephone cancellations are not accepted for refunds.
- 2 Day/5 Day Classes
- There is an automatic $50 cancellation fee (per class) for any canceled registration, regardless of the date of withdrawal.
- If you withdraw from a workshop more than 30 days in advance, the school will refund the deposit on the class, less the $50 cancellation fee and any registration fee.
- If you withdraw from a workshop less than 30 days in advance, there will be no refund or transferring of the money to another class on all paid money for any reason.
- Private classes
- Will incur a $50 per reserved hour cancellation fee for any cancellation with less than five business days notice.
- If you cancel any class and are eligible for a refund, the available refundable money can be applied to another class in the same year (less the $50 cancellation fee). You cannot transfer money to another class in the next year’s schedule.
- Refundable money will be sent back before the end of the school year.
- Franklin Street School of Woodwork reserves the right to withdraw any student from a class if he or she has not paid in full before the start of class.
- If for any reason FSFW must cancel a workshop, all money will be refunded, including the $50 registration fee.
- The deposit for the 2 day workshop is $200
- The deposit for the 5 day workshop is $400
- The deposit for private classes is $200
There is no smoking permitted in the school buildings at any time, nor will alcohol be allowed at any time. If you are on medications that could impair your judgment, you will not be allowed to operate power equipment.
Young children will not be allowed in the school during school work hours. PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED.
Videotaping of any instructional workshop is strictly prohibited.
Unsafe acts will not be permitted. Woodworking is inherently dangerous. Using hand tools or power tools improperly can lead to serious injury or death. By taking these workshops, you agree to do so solely at your own risk and release the sponsors, owners, guest lecturers, assistants, staff, other students, manufacturers, directors, board members and managers from any claims or liabilities from injury, loss, damage or death. Each student must sign a liability waiver.
Students will not be allowed to work with spalted woods, exotic woods or any materials that could be hazardous to other students. Each student will be responsible to read and fully understand and accept the registration process including the annual non-refundable registration fee and the cancellation policy before signing up. Class availability on the web page will be updated as often as possible, but ALL online registrations will not be official until your credit card has been manually processed.
All full week workshops will wrap up between 2:30-3:30 pm on the last day of class and weekends wrap between 2:30-4:00 pm on the last day of class.
Students who intentionally violate any rules or put others at risk will be asked to leave.
STANDARDS OF ACADEMIC PROGRESS
Programs are a pass/fail. Students are continually evaluated and provided with feedback by instructors. While all efforts are made by our staff to ensure student success, we reserve the right to academically dismiss students who are not meeting minimum standards for participation or safety. Students who are academically dismissed may not reapply for admission.